Refractive errors (myopia, hyperopia and astigmatism) can be treated in different ways. The most common one is the use of glasses or contact lenses, but sometimes these options are discarded for various reasons: intolerance to contact lenses, aesthetics, discomfort …
Currently there are techniques available which allow the correction of such defects by:
- Applying an excimer laser on the cornea.
- The replacement of the crystalline lens (clear or opacified) by a premium intraocular lens.
- The implant of an ICL lens: The ICL is a flexible and biocompatible lens that can be placed within the eye without modifying other structures such as the cornea or the crystalline lens. ICL stands for “Implantable Collamer Lens”.
The ICL implantation technique differs from the cataract surgery in that it does not touch the crystalline lens; only the lens is inserted into the space between the crystalline lens and the iris.
The procedure is performed under local anaesthesia and using two self-sealing micro incisions requiring no stitches.
Its duration varies between 10 and 15 minutes approximately, it is completely painless and allows the patient to leave the operating room on his own feet.
After the intervention a control is performed to measure the intraocular pressure, monitor the development and plan subsequent check-ups individually.
- Aged between 21 and 45.
- Suffer from myopia or hyperopia, with or without astigmatism.
- Are not pregnant, since graduation could be modified with pregnancy.
- Presented thin corneas or severe dry eye.
- Have good eye health: healthy corneal endothelium without glaucoma, iritis, diabetic retinopathy … For this reason it is very important to perform a comprehensive eye examination before the intervention.
At Visiondiez we analyse each case individually with the aim of finding the best possible solution for the correction of the refractive error.
ICL can treat refractive errors within a fairly large range (-20 dioptres of myopia to +10 dioptres of hyperopia with astigmatism of up to 6 dioptres), especially being indicated in cases of moderate to high myopia, in which case LASIK may be contraindicated.
The implant of an ICL lens does not have negative effects on a dry eye.
The ICL lens is manufactured by STAAR Surgical in the US and it is made up of “collamer”. This material is very similar to human collagen so it is totally biocompatible. Its high flexibility enables it to be placed in its position without the need to alter other ocular structures. It also protects the retina against ultraviolet light.
In short, the lens provides Premium vision, not only facilitating the independence of glasses or contact lenses, but improving the quality of vision, especially in patients with high levels of myopia and hyperopia, with or without astigmatism.
The ICL lens can be easily changed or removed through a micro-incision. In this way, if there is any change in refraction or cataracts, the lens can be safely removed and, if appropriate, replaced.
Its use by more than 300,000 patients worldwide proves the safety and reliability of these lenses. In Visiondiez, we have extensive experience in the ICL lens implant.
In Visiondiez, our surgeons are certified by STAAR for the implant of all your lenses and have performed thousands of successful interventions.